I’m no Betty Crocker in the kitchen but in my year & three months of marriage, I have learned the value of making meals for your spouse. Honestly, it’s one of my favorite things to do as a wife. With Aaron’s rigorous work schedule, we don’t see each other much, let alone eat together. He leaves the house at 8 a.m everyday only to return home sometime past 10 p.m. (and often times it’s as late as midnight) but although it’s difficult for us to be apart all those hours in a week, I owe a special thanks to my collection of BuzzFeed’s Tasty Videos that many of us enjoy watching as well as my handy 5 Ingredient Favorites cookbook. I’ve found that as I send him out the door with any of his 3 favorite meals, I also send him with a little wifely love. They’re my favorite, too, because they are simple, quick, and most delicious.
#1. BBQ Chicken Pinwheel
You may be more of a homemaker than I am and make everything from scratch, but I’m totally not! One day, maybe, but for now I appreciate the refrigerated Pillsbury Crescents, Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce, finely shredded cheddar-jack cheese, Rotisserie Chicken and Ranch dressing at my local grocery store. That’s basically all you need for this masterpiece! Watch this clip from Tasty Videos and try it out for yourself (spoiler: it will take longer than 00:56 to make!) FYI: Aaron and I like to add avacado slices as our own little tasty twist.
#2. Chicken Alfredo English Muffin (with Broccoli)
My, my. This dish is is delectable. Found in my favorite cookbook, it has made it’s way on Aaron’s top 5 foods list. That says a lot because he eats just about everything (except for cream cheese. And cottage cheese. Weirdo).
What You Need:
- 6 English Muffins (I use Thomas because, hello. Pre-cut! And I could always use a little less mess in my life).
- 2 thin or 1 large chicken breast (Aaron thinks he is so hilarious by calling them “chicken boobs”)
- Garlic Salt
- 3/4 cup Alfredo Sauce (again, thank you, local grocery store! But by all means, if you have a fancy Alfredo recipe, please use it!)
- 1 1/2 cup Kraft Italian Five Cheese
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 package of frozen broccoli
- Fresh Parsely (optional)
- Season chicken with garlic salt and pepper. Cut into 1 inch strips.
- Prepare frozen broccoli as stated on the package (I always use the microwave. It’s 1 billion times easier).
- Broil (or grill) chicken until no longer pink but because we’re poor and don’t have a grill, I use my stove and it works just as well.
- While chicken is cooking, add your desired amount of Alfredo sauce to the pan and spread the remaining sauce to each half of your English muffins (or not, to save on calories). Also, toss in your prepared broccoli to the chicken mixture.
- Remove chicken & broccoli from heat once throughly cooked and preheat oven to 350. Top your muffins with small strips of chicken.
- Sprinkle about 1/8 cup of cheese on each English muffin half (Italian Five Cheese and Parmesan).
- Add a little bit of finely chopped parsley.
- Bake at 350 for 9 minutes.
- WAH-LAH! Masterpiece number two complete.
#3. Avocado Egg Salad
Anyone else in the “Mayo Free, Not For Me” club? I’ve never really enjoyed it, but I also crave a creamy classic once in a while. Because this egg salad is made with all natural ingredients, the avocado adds flavor without the guilt! Never in my life have I eaten so many avocados until I married Aaron but I’m glad because I can make this meal for us to munch on throughout the week and I don’t feel bad about indulging. I’m still trying to perfect the art of boiling eggs so if you have any tips, please send them my way and I’ll give you this yummy recipe in exchange 🙂
What You Need:
- 6-8 Hard Boiled Eggs
- 2-3 Avocados (pit & remove skin)
- 1/2 TBSP Lemon Juice
- 1/3 cup chopped Onion (this adds an explosion of flavor, trust me!)
- 1/2 TSP Salt
- Pepper to taste
- Bread for serving (We LOVE Sarah Lee’s Artesano Bread…mmm mmm mmm)
- Add all ingredients to a bowl. Mash & stir to combine.
- Serve on bread or open-faced toast.
If you’re not hungry yet, I have no idea why because after typing this my stomach is creating havoc! I may just have to walk over to the market and surprise Aaron with one of his favorite meals for when he walks in the door tonight. It’s guaranteed to make him happy after a long day at work.
Thanks for stopping by today!